Wednesday, April 28, 2010
Last Lecture
Rebecca Alpert an Associate professor of religion and women studies and Corinne Hewitt a sculptor and theatrical artist both spoke about relating to people and empathy. Rebecca talked about how we learn from our teacher/ professor as the professors learn from the students. she also talked about empathy and what it means and how we can better ourselves from it. She said that in her class she stretches out peoples comfort zones and making people think about putting themselves in other peoples shoes. I thought that her lecture was interesting and made sense and if she was still teaching a religion and women studies type class I would take it. But I found her talk to be better than the artist. Corinne Hewitt started with plumbing work before coming an artist and he found empathy through plumbing. He showed us a photo of a bathroom that he renovated and when he took down the dry wall and the tiles found empathy in the foundation and structure of the home. He made a video showing how he put a wall together and he leaves pieces of himself and of things in the walls so that if something leaks or breaks people will find it. I thought his stuff was okay but I at least thought it would be interesting and maybe a better speaker since I didn't really understand what his point was.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment