Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Photography and Printmaking

This was about photography and printmaking. The faculty from both of these departments came and spoke. To begin with photography, in your sophomore year there are two classes that students can take is photo one and photo two. Photo one is more about picture making it has been changed to a digital class instead of being in the darkroom. Photo two you can go into the dark room it is more of a photo process class and you can make your own emulsions and everything is manual. In your junior year you need to develop a portfolio to be able to make it into senior photo. in the senior class it is mainly just criting work and it is also writing intensive. there is also a web design class where you learn to design web pages and work with dreamweaver.I am interested in photography since i was able to take a photography class at my high school where we had about 30 enlargers in the darkroom and we had to roll our own film and print the pictures. I really enjoyed that class and it was all black and white which the photos came out nice when printed. I'm not sure how well i would do with a digital photo class since i'm not good with the complex digital cameras. This is something that I am going to look into in the future for a class or two or even maybe even a major. next there was someone from printmaking that came and spoke. he came late so he didnt get that much time to go in depth about the classes for sophomores. but he did mention that printmakers use all different types of media so its like theyare double majoring almost. they also play a role in social concerns as well. in the beginning for printmaking students learn the four disciplines which are relief, intaglio, lithography and silkscreen. I would like to know more about this major since I would like to take classes in printmaking and possibly majoring in. there is a lot to chose so i'm planning on taking a class in some of the departments just so i can get a feel of what i would like to be doing in the future along with teaching.

No comments:

Post a Comment